Saturday, March 21, 2009

Traveling


I am out of town at a family function as I write this. I am staying at a bed and breakfast which has a refrigerator, sink and microwave. The night before I left town, I went to the grocery store and cooked some food in preparation for this trip. Have food, will travel, is my motto! For this trip with lodging that does not include an oven, I purchased avocados, fresh blueberries, sweet potatoes, spinach, fresh salmon, organic, natural deli ham, all-natural smoked salmon, whole dates and my only packaged treat, cassava chips (a treat because they are already cooked).  On this food, and non-corn-sweetened grape juice, I will survive for a long weekend. The night before I travelled I baked the sweet potatoes and salmon. The rest of the food does not require cooking to eat. 

I have always loved the outdoors, and always packed picnic lunches for long trips during the spring and summer months to avoid fast food restaurants, so this is not a terrible inconvenience. Other than the fact that I was exhausted beyond belief and probably would have resorted to fast food in favor of an early night in bed!

Following is the best I can do without notes - my recipe for Basic Baked Salmon. My favorite salmon is mild tasting, while others prefer a stronger tasting salmon. In particular, I favor wild Pacific salmon for its lack of additives.

Basic Baked Salmon

Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Arrange the salmon filet(s) in a single layer in a baking dish, I use a heavy ceramic baking dish. Place the filet skin side down. Turn the tale end under the body so that both ends of the filet are the same thickness. Turn the thinner side edge under for the length of the filet until both sides of the filet are the same thickness. Place in the preheated oven for 15 to 35 minutes, depending on the size of the filet and desired doneness. I bake the filet just until it flakes, but is thoroughly cooked throughout. Finding your desired doneness and recognizing when the filet has reached that state may take some practice. I have a sensitive nose and go by smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment